Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Security (CCSP) Retired > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
3910 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2010 8:52 AM by Aaron Cary RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Necessary material to learn/pass the CCSP

Mar 3, 2010 10:43 AM

cloud0r 7 posts since
Jun 16, 2009

Hi everyone,

This is first time I am posting on the board, but I have been using the site for learning purposes which has been great. I have just got through the CCNA Security exam and I am going to continue down this track to get the CCSP. I have seen a number of discussions on the board about the right material to get in terms of learning the topics and then passing the exams. Currently the material that I have is as followed:

1. CCIE Network Security Technologies and Solutions

2. CBT Nuggets for the CCSP

3. Quick Reference guides for all CCSP tracks

I am using the cisco website in addition to the three areas above as well, but I wanted to check is there any other good resources that I would need to help learn the topic areas and pass the exams?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cloud0r

• BJ 12 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    1. Jun 4, 2010 7:34 PM (in response to cloud0r)
    Re: Necessary material to learn/pass the CCSP

Greetings Cloud0r,

Have you been able to find any answers to your question.

I am in the same position that you're in. I have passed the CCNA Security and I am looking for material to study for the CCSP.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

BJ

• BJ 12 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    3. Jun 10, 2010 8:10 AM (in response to cloud0r)

Cloud0r,

Thanks for the info. I have obtained much of the material you recommended.

How are you going about the equipment issue?

Are renting virtually etc?

Regards,

BJ

• Aaron Cary 765 posts since
    Jun 9, 2008
    4. Jun 10, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to BJ)

I have heard a lot of people recommending the GNS3 Network Simulator for some equipment hands on experience. I am sure this will assis t with the learning. I have not tried it personally as I just downloaded it, but there are several discussions across the board on this. So i am pretty sure there will be a lot of assistance if you hit any roadblocks with this. here is the link.

http://www.gns3.net/download

• Brandon Carroll - CCIE (Security) 231 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    5. Jun 10, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to cloud0r)

Basically you are looking at the following:

SNRS- That's a good place to use GNS3 since you have to be able to secure routers.  As far as the switches go, you're kinda out of luck with GNS3.

SNAF- This is the ASA material.  The course and exam cover both command line options and ASDM based configuration, however the ASDM configuration is the heavier topic.  I would either use ASDM installed locally in demo mode (you dont need an ASA to do this) or I would find a 5505 to play with- you can get them pretty cheap.  You will be limited though for failover.

IPS- IPS is tough.  It's 95% IDM based configurations.  I've heard of some people getting an IPS running in VMWARE but I have not done this on my own.

As far as other courses go, MARS is pretty easy, but I would question its long term relevance.  SNAA is worthwile because it covers advanced ASA topics as well as ASA VPN topics like the Anyconnect client and CSD.  I would recommend that one.

As far as the material you have already, I think you are good.  I would however recommend getting as much time as you can labbing up scenarios as you study. 

You may also want to consider a Cisco Certified course, and check with your Rep or your purchasing department at your company to see if you have any Learning Credits to pay for the class.

Also, if you work for a Cisco Channel Partner I would try to get access to the PEC as there are VoDs there and so on.

That's basically a dump of everything I can think of right now.  If you have any questions dont hesitate to throw them up here on the forum.  Plenty of talent here to help.

Regards,

Brandon Carroll

Ascolta

• Brandon Carroll - CCIE (Security) 231 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    6. Jun 10, 2010 9:05 AM (in response to cloud0r)

Also take a look here at the technical library:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1343

• Marcela 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    7. Jun 10, 2010 9:19 AM (in response to Aaron Cary)

HEY, I am just trying to see how it works

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)