4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2017 10:50 AM by arvin RSS

2 tier over 3 tier architecture

arvin

Hi,

Saw an article saying we are moving toward to 2 tier architecture in our data center infrastructure, Since accordign to the article we have a lot of east and west traffic now and traditional 3 tier is like insufficient.

I used to see 2 tier setup in small - medium campus but in data center I never see something like that. If for example we are going to use this setup where should we put our firewall / load balancer etc because we usually place that one in Distri in 3 tier arch.?

DC 2 Tier setup was:

N9k Platform <-- Core

N9k w/ N2k <--Agg/Access

what can you say about this setup when we are thinking data center and in security perspective??

Thanks

• 1. Re: 2 tier over 3 tier architecture
          Anthony

The data center uses a clos fabric made up of spines nodes and leaf nodes.  The layer 2 and layer 3 outside links (connecting to domains outside of the clos fabric) as well as the firewalls and other service insertion are typically done on a leaf node (although I think there are cases where some of those things are supported on the spine).  Generally speaking the spine nodes only connect to leaf nodes and leaf nodes only connect to spines (within the backbone of the fabric).  This architecture offers equal-cost multi-pathing, non-blocking links, predictable latency and delay, etc.

• 2. Re: 2 tier over 3 tier architecture
            David P.

Adding a little bit here to what Anthony already explained: The main difference between them is the massive bandwidth you can have contrasting CLOS (leaf-spine-leaf) topology and Hierarchical topology (3 tier - core/aggregation/access). As every leaf is connected to every spine. the fabric transport capacity would be the addition of those links to every spine.

So, if you have 4 leaves with 40 GB links to the Spines, and 2 spines, then you have 80GB of transport capacity in the fabric. Every leaf would have 80 GB (adding the 40GB per link, per spine).

Also, in the case of deployments where the Spines are connected as border devices, its seen in multipod deployments. Usually, the rule of the thumb is to only connect leaves in Spines, nothing else goes there. But, with this new implementation you can merge 2 pods and connect them via Spines. I believe it started to be supported in ACI version 2.2 and spine/leaf switches must support IPN (only supported in 2nd generation of spines/leaves).

• 3. Re: 2 tier over 3 tier architecture
              arvin

Great info. Man. Thnank you

• 4. Re: 2 tier over 3 tier architecture
                arvin

Thanks David. will be noted