7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2017 7:28 PM by lp4nb RSS

Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working

Tony

I have a bare metal install of VIRL on its own hardware - i5, 32GB RAM, SSD etc. There seems to be no issue with the hardware, other than I only have two NICs.

After following the install instructions, and all seems to be well, but when I check status, I get this:

virl_01.PNG

So ok this may not be a huge issue as I am connected to us-2.virl.info. But then when I check the server status I see the following:

server_status_01.PNG

So apparently dummy 3 is down.

And then a little further down I see this:

virl_02.PNG

Health status report attached.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with this?

Just as an aside, I have also tried to run an update on the system but I get errors with that too.

• 1. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
          alejo-VIRL Support

You may ignore the first error pertaining the Salt status. The server would have recovered from that issue and is not directly related to the other errors posted.

I would guess that you may have set your server to use a static IP address. In which case take a look at How To: Configure Static IP Address Manually to ensure that your server is properly configured. If you are not able to correct the problem, please run the VIRL Server Config Validation script and attach the output text file.

• 2. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
            Kaoru Yamashita

You can run VIRL as bare metal with only two physical NICs.

Please take a look at slide 3, 27 and 30 of below prezo.

http://lansw-book.net/VIRL/Poor/Poor-Mans-VIRL.pptx

This trick is dirty, but works.

HTH,

Kaoru

• 3. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
              lp4nb

Hi,

I'm facing a problem installing the virl on baremetal.

The output of script is attached.

Please assist, I've been trying for long.

under virl-server>system tools>health-status : below is the error i'm seeing.

--

Primary network interface eth0 Static_IP: 192.168.0.100 public_network: 192.168.0.0 public_netmask: 255.255.255.0 public_gateway: 192.168.0.1 down. Service network interface dummy4 down.

1: lo    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 
              2: eth0    inet 192.168.0.100/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
              2: eth0    inet 172.16.10.250/24 scope global eth0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
              36: docker0    inet 172.17.0.1/16 scope global docker0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
              39: virbr0    inet 192.168.122.1/24 brd 192.168.122.255 scope global virbr0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 
              • 4. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
                alejo-VIRL Support

Before you make any other changes, you need to update the VIRL release version number as outlined in the release notes Known Issues:. Run the following commands in order to correct the version number.

First run the following command:

sudo salt-call grains.get virl_release

The value returned should be 1.2.84; which we need to change to 1.2.83:

sudo salt-call grains.setval virl_release 1.2.83

sudo service virl-uwm restart

It looks like the problem is with your interfaces file. You should be able to access UWM, so please make the following changes there and let us know if you run into other problems.

You need to change the port IDs from the currently configured 'ethX' naming convention to 'dummyX' naming convention in order to match virl.ini.

From UWM > VIRL Server > System Configuration >> click on Networks tab

Change the Ports from ethX to dummyX starting with dummy1 for eth1 interface.

Apply the changes and follow the prompts. This will cause the server to perform a rehost operation which will take about 25min to complete. Once complete, you will need to reboot your server.

• 5. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
                  lp4nb

Hi,

i have tried reinstalling. But, still issue persists.

Please check the attached validation-text

This time, under virl-server>system conf> networks tab, the interfaces are seen as named dummy1-4. (but the health status showing as below)

Please assist.

P.S i'm using a laptop, with ethernet nic eth0, and wireless nic eth1(NAME was wlan0 earlier, changed as per https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/97648

Service network interface dummy4 down.

1: lo    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  2: eth0    inet 192.168.0.100/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  2: eth0    inet 172.16.10.250/24 scope global eth0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  35: eth1    inet 172.16.1.254/24 brd 172.16.1.255 scope global eth1\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  36: docker0    inet 172.17.0.1/16 scope global docker0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  39: virbr0    inet 192.168.122.1/24 brd 192.168.122.255 scope global virbr0\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 10:1f:74:11:21:e5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                  • 6. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
                    alejo-VIRL Support

Based on the output, it looks like you haven't configured the static IP address correctly, nor the dummy interfaces. Remember that the names of the interface must be the same as how the system labeled them during the installation. So if your Ethernet port has been discovered and labeled eth0, your System Configuration in UWM must also reflect eth0 in Primary Ethernet port. Take a look at How To: Configure Static IP Address Manually and ensure you have configured the files correctly, and run the appropriate commands as instructed.

To help find the names of your configured interfaces, you can copy and paste the code below into an SSH session to your VIRL server and hit enter.

for f in /sys/class/net/*; do
                       dev=$(basename $f)

driver=$(readlink $f/device/driver/module)

iaddr=$(ip addr show dev $dev | awk '$1 == "inet" { sub("/..", "", $2); print $2}')

if [[ -z $iaddr ]]; then
                       iaddr=$(printf "No IP Address")

fi
                      if [ $driver ]; then
                       driver=$(basename $driver)

fi
                       addr=$(cat $f/address)

operstate=$(cat $f/operstate)

if [[ ! -z $driver ]]; then
                       printf "%10s [%s]: %s\t%10s (%s)\n" "$dev" "$addr" "$iaddr" "$driver" "$operstate"
                       fi
                    done

The returned value should be something similar to this:

eth0 [00:50:56:8f:65:01]: 172.23.175.200       e1000 (up)

eth1 [00:50:56:8f:b8:8b]: No IP Address        e1000 (up)

eth2 [00:50:56:8f:c7:36]: No IP Address        e1000 (up)

eth3 [00:50:56:8f:0f:5a]: No IP Address        e1000 (up)

eth4 [00:50:56:8f:48:fd]: 172.16.10.250        e1000 (up)

So in the end, you should only have a single interface named em0 (or whatever the system named your interface) and dummy interfaces for all the other interfaces.

The guide: How to: Add Interfaces and Networks to VIRL Server  may be helpful, but only use it for reference not for configuration assistance. For configuration assistance please follow the bare-metal installation guide or review VIRL 1.2.64 installation failed for more details.

• 7. Re: Having trouble getting Dummy 3 working
                      lp4nb

Hi

Changing dhcp/static ip config from uwm, and applying the same resolved the issue. (from: how to configure static ip -link)

Thanks a lot