Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 1 Helpful Answer available (2 pts)
3752 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2010 5:06 AM by Paul Stewart - CCIE Security RSS

Currently Being Moderated

TCP/IP protocol stack

Jan 29, 2010 6:59 PM

Angela 746 posts since
Jan 29, 2010

Hi Guys,

I just finished courses regarding CCENT and now almost completing CCNA courses. I just took the assessment test yesterday and got 6 questions wrong, and most of them are about TCP/IP protocol stack. The thing is, I know TCP/IP model and TCP/IP protocol suite, but can anyone tell me what is a TCP/IP protocol stack? I really got confused there, thanks alot.

By the way, I'm working my way to the network administrator. I know that a CCNP certification won't be enough, so what other credential do I need? Do I need to know some programming/scripting languages (I already know C++, C, JAVA, HTML/XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript)? What about different Operating System (like Unix/Linux)? Please suggest all you can think of, thanks.

PS: if you can come up a list of course material for these, that would be awesome; many thanks.

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security 7,575 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    1. Jan 29, 2010 7:36 PM (in response to Angela)
    Re: TCP/IP protocol stack

The IP stack is what sits between the hardware driver for the network card and the applications that use it.  As far as your query regarding getting into a network administration job, I think the more you know the better.  However, there is so much out there that I think you must focus on a few things.  To me, the programming languages like java, c, etc are good, but really a different path than the network admin role.  Don't get me wrong, you can do a lot of stuff with scripting languages and it is very beneficial.  However, most people don't want an entry level network admin running an expect script across 500 enterprise routers.  So I recommend focusing on what you like.  Learning a Server Operating System is a good way to get your foot in the door.  If you enjoy networking, try getting a job with a Cisco partner.  If you are willing to put a lot of time into learning, there is a lot of opportunity in many small Cisco shops.  In any case,keep your eyes open and take every opportunity to learn.

PS.  If that still doesn't clear up the function of the IP Stack, please help me what you do and don't understand in regard to that.  Let me add that an IP stack isn't necessary.  For those that's been doing this a while, we've seen stuff in its place such as NETBUI and.IPX/SPX.  With TCP/IP applications request a socket, TCP manages connections, and ip provides addressing services. 

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • CCIE Canuck 30 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    2. Jan 29, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to Angela)

The TCP/IP Protocol Stack generally refers to TCP/IP theory. As for a network admin, learning Unix/Linux is a good start. I am personally a huge fan of FreeBSD. You can learn firewall management/rules and security issues (with FreeBSD's PF). Learning how install/run web/db servers is always a good thing as well. Once you understand that you can start learning shell scripting and go from there. With Unix/Linux skills you can become a very valuable asset to any company by being able to offer Open Source Network management solutions (Nagios/Cacti/MRTG/OpenLDAP/FreeRadius/NFSen). On the road to getting your CCNP you can start to learn Unix/Linux by install a wonderful piece of software called Dynamips. It emulates Cisco hardware and lets you run Cisco IOS on your PC. I hope this gives you a bit of information and a place to start.

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security 7,575 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    4. Jan 30, 2010 5:06 AM (in response to Angela)

Specifically for the TCP/IP understanding, I really like TCP/IP Unleashed Third Edition by Tim Parker and Karanjit Siyan.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)