2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2010 8:58 PM by Bakker F.Ghanayem Dual CCIE Rns & SP #27372 RSS

What is the best OSPF for BGP

Bakker F.Ghanayem  Dual CCIE Rns & SP #27372

We planning to design network for our enterprise, I dont know what is the best for protocol BGP or OSPF.

My suggestion to use both like below details...

R1-------EBGP-----------R2----------------With All Network- OSPF.

And redistribure the OSPF to BGP

R1 --------EBGP------------R2--------------With All network IBGP and for end users OSFP...

And redistribute the IBGP with OSPF and generate default route from R2.

Bakker F.Ghanayem

• 1. Re: What is the best OSPF for BGP
          Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE

Not nearly enough information to answer.

How many routers?  What kinda stuff are you doing?   How many routes?   Anything "odd" in the traffic/types being carried?

Any design should revolve around keeping it simple.  Will OSPF meet your needs?  If so, I'd start there.

PS.  You double posted this.

• 2. Re: What is the best OSPF for BGP
            Bakker F.Ghanayem  Dual CCIE Rns & SP #27372

I have around 30 remote routers. And th application used by remote sites its our company remote sales branch so the applicaion( Voice, Billing System, Citrix...etc)

First why I ask for EBGP because there is firewall between R1 and R2 and security team they dont wan to run any dynamic route.

R1----- PIX-------R2...

So its very hard to creat around 300 static route an prefix....etc

So I said run EBGP between R1 and R2 and ask security Team to open the port 179 TCP.

The connection after R2 witch is going to remote sites ( May is Wimax / Laser / E1 / GPON Fiber...etc) I will use OSPF and reditrbute back to BGP.

But someone said no need for BGP and we can run OSPF for all th desig.

I want to know the faster more stable....etc.