Okay, apparently Cisco has an abundance of troubleshooting web pages available for the protocols that we learn in ROUTE/BSCI and SWITCH/BCMSN exams. The word TSHOOT means Troubleshooting. If you have seen the syllabus https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6567, you will find it is nothing but troubleshooting for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams. This is mostly over IP routed protocols and ethernet switched protocols. There are some voice, video, security and wireless.
The TSHOOT beta exam is not released till February 16th, 2010 but I have decided to get cracking on it now. The beta last till March 26th, 2010 for a cost of $50USD. That's an awesome price considering it's typically $150USD. Also, if you pass the beta, it counts as a legit exam but is not acknowledged until ~April 10th, 2010, I think when the final TSHOOT is released.
I posted some initial ideas in a discussion in the CCNP Forum and have given this exam outline considerable thought. I cannot predict what will be on the exam because I have no materials other than the syllabus to go off of. Also, this compiled list of materials is subject to be incorrect. It is just a prediction. Cisco Press doesn't release books till next month and Command guides for another couple of months. So, I have taken upon myself to gather some materials from Google about the topics needed for the TSHOOT exam. I only choose from the top 10 results in the web search so these may not be the best web pages. Luckily, most of them are straight from Cisco. The larger IP routing protocols were easy to find results for while some of the smaller switching protocols were much tougher to find troubleshooting topics on.
Here is my initial list of resources. There are holes. Please help me update if you know of other resources not listed here.
- EIGRP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094613.shtml
- OSPF http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949f7.shtml
- Route Redistribution - This topic is found in the BSCI studies along with troubleshooting. You can google things like 'Redistributing EIGRP into OSPF'. Other things to be aware of route feedback, Administrative distance problems, one-way/two-way redistribution logic errors. All of this is covered in BSCI. I didn't feel like posting links for each of these sub topics.
- DHCP http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a00800f0804.shtml
- NAT http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c32.shtml
- First Hop Redundancy Protocols
- IPv6 Routing - This general topic can also be found in BSCI studies. This may include features of IPv6 and configurations. This may also include configuring OSPFv3 because it was found in the BSCI exam.
- IPv6 - IPv4 Interoperability
- NAT PT http://blog.internetworkexpert.com/2008/04/18/understanding-ipv6-nat-pt/
- Tunneling http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/25156/ipv6tunnel.pdf
- Dual Stack https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5264 (Also, check BSCI IPv6 Interoperability section for dual stack rules)
- Switch-to-Switch Connectivity for VLANs
- VTP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml
- 802.1q/ISL/VLANs http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/tsd_technology_support_troubleshooting_technotes_list.html
- DTP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/tk181/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html
- Spanning Tree
- STP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800951ac.shtml
- RSTP/MSTP/PVST - Didn't find any good links to these on the subject of troubleshooting.
- Access Ports for VLANs http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml
- Private VLANs http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk814/tk840/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html
- Port Security - Nothing official found for troubleshooting this issue online. Since 802.1x needs AAA authentication turned on, try searching AAA and 802.1x. Or, look in CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 389 "Port Security",
- Switch Security - Nothing official found for troubleshooting this issue online. Found material on this subject at: CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 401 "Best Practices for Securing Switches"
- VLAN ACL and Port ACL
- VACL http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk814/tk838/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html
- PACL - Nothing official found here on PACL.
- Switch Virtual Interface - Nothing official found online. CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 292 "InterVLAN Routing"
- Switch Supervisor Redundancy - Nothing official found online. The BCMSN exam barely covered this topic in their guide. CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 339 "Redundancy Within a Switch Chassis"
- Advanced Services
- Voice - CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 353 "IP Telephony" or CCNA Voice. Need more specific ideas.
- Video - Nothing official found on topic. Please help update. Need more specific ideas.
- Wireless - CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition. Page 429 "Chapter 17 - 19" or CCNA Wireless. Need more specifics on topic.
- Layer-3 Security - Wasn't sure what this specified. ACLs or more?
- Issues Related to ACLs used to secure access to Cisco routers - Nothing official found on this topic. This might be a refresher about ACLs protected VTY lines or SSH in CCNA course. Also found in CCNA Security "CCNA Security Course Booklet Version 1.0 - Chapter 4.1 ACLs" Need Help here.
- Security Issues related to IOS services (finger, NTP, HTTP, FTP and RCP) Nothing official found on this topic. Need more specifics. Possible use of SDM Lockdown Tool?
If you are interested in taking the TSHOOT beta and have additional information and want to help out, I would appreciate and I'll post updated material on this document.
NEW - CCNP TSHOOT Flash Cards Online $24.99USD Available Now. http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587059045
NEW - CCNP TSHOOT 642-832 Official Certification Guide $47.99 Pre-Order http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=9781587058448
Thanks - Mike