CCIE Routing and Switching assesses knowledge of platform-independent concepts that are applicable across the portfolio of routers and switches and that are based on functionalities available in Cisco IOS Software Release 15 running within a 100% virtual environment.
In order to practice, prepare and become familiar with the virtualized Cisco IOS lab environment, Cisco Expert-Level Training for CCIE Routing and Switching is available through Cisco Authorized Learning Partners. Candidates can register for the CIERS1 and CIERS2 courses on the Cisco Learning Locator.
Training materials include:
- state-of-the-art workbook labs with integrated virtual labs for hands-on training
- full-scale graded assessment labs that simulate the CCIE Lab Exam and provide mentor feedback
- videos-on-demand with technology labs
Virtual rack rentals eliminate the need to invest in hardware equipment, provide familiarity with the Cisco IOL based CCIE Lab exam environment. This will allow candidates to address the lab exam more efficiently. Self-study training products are available on the Cisco Learning Network Store.
Candidates who want to prepare using their own hardware-based labs can use the following equipment and Cisco IOS Software Releases:
- Cisco ISR 2900 Series routers running IOS version 15.3T Universal Software release
- Catalyst 3560X Series switches running IOS version 15.0SE Universal (IP Services) Software release
Any other hardware platform that can run equivalent Cisco IOS Software Release 15.3T or 15.0SE may be used as well.
Note that older equipment platforms and Cisco IOS Software Releases may be used to learn and practice a significant portion of the exam curriculum.
You may see more recent IOS versions installed in the lab, but you will not be tested on the new features of a release unless indicated above. Refer to Cisco Feature Navigator to compare Cisco IOS Software Releases.