SAN Design Considerations - Study Notes - Part 1
DAS - Direct Attached Storage
NAS - Network Attached Storage (access via NFS, CIFS)
SAN - Storage Area Network (scsi technologies and fibre channel)
HBA - Host Bus Adapter
Cisco Storage Virtualization
- Available logical space for data storage.
- The SAN system handles the process of mappig to an actual physical device.
- MDS 9000 family ==> VSANs capable
- Trunking between VLANs ==> ISL and Enhanced ISL
- IVR is fabric routing
- Sharing of centralized storage services across VSANs
- Fabric Shortest Path First
- Topology database
- Dynamic Incremental SPF
- Associates a cost with each link
- Logical grouping of fabric devices within SAN or VSAN
- Soft Zoning (using DNS) or Hard Zoning (equipment built in).
FICON - Technology
- Fiber connectiviy invented by IBM
- Connects mainframes to SAN
- Cisco supports FICON and FCP (Fibre Channel Protocol).
SANTap - Technology
- Protocol that allows third party storage application to be integrated into the SAN.
- Replicates the data simultanously.
- Port density.
- Traffic Management ==> different performance requirements should be handled using techniques
- Fault Isoltation ==> using VSAN
- Convergence and Stability
- Collapse core.
- Dual Fabric collapse core
- Remote connectivity between different SAN networks using protocols like FCIP and iSCSI.
- FCIP: fiber channel over IP ==> any distance
- iSCSI: SCSI over IP
- Several enhancements: data compression and write acceleration